Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Misconception of Video Games

I understand that a lot of the material I provide is strongly related to gaming and I feel that what I say on this blog is either not read or shunned upon. But my reader's (all six of you) have to understand my taste and I think I should post what I want to post. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge movie buff and I intend to do more reviews of films but when there are more video games that get better reception than movies that come out today, I don't have a desire to go to the movies see a basic plot that has been recycled. I want variety and that's why I do game reviews. The thing that annoys me though is that video games should be treated as a traditional game, something like pong or Tetris. Well let me clarify that is no longer the case as games today include story, character development, destructive set pieces, and best of all, interaction. This isn't the days of Atari 2600 as developers have nailed the aspect of engrossing a player. In fact, some of stories found in games are making Hollywood pay attention. You see, gaming isn't just about something simple like play wii bowling its much more deeper than that. This is when the established casual and hardcore gaming comes into play. Casual gamers are those who are intimidated by the site of a controller and just want to spend 10-30 min playing something at a time. Games in this kind of crowd include wii sports, generic dancing games, Mario party etc. The gamer doesn't want something with a lot of depth because they are afraid to learn how to play. Unfortunately, these are the kind of games and people that are truly missing out on the whole experience. Then you have the Hardcore crowd whose games consist of Halo, Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, and Fallout.These are the kind of people who not only expect a challenge, but want a rewarding experience, something in which they can put a lot of time into. This is the area in which freedom comes into play as the player is given the opportunity to experience how they want to play. Let's take a look at a game like mass effect which is a space opera that had 50 percent action and 50 percent of dialogue options or choices. I bet your confused but let me clarify. Mass Effect is a game of choice and by choice I mean choosing who will live or die, choosing who to pursue a relationship with, and choosing who will help you on your quest. There's much more to games than shooting and killing as the decisions you make in the first game carry over to the second and third title, making it like the decisions you make really matter. You sure as hell don't get this out of a game like wii sports or Hello Kitty do you? Didn't think so. You can also choose what abilities you have which changes the way the game is played. Whether you want to carry all weapons or you want to use force power or elements, it's up to you. You get to change the overall appearance of your character so it resembles you. This is just one of the many examples of what games are today and if you think it's all about shooting enemies, you're wrong! They even hire professional actors to voice each characters such as Marten Sheen, Seth Green, etc. Even Hollywood is starting to borrow these idea's because half of the movies that are released today are crap.



No comments:

Post a Comment